Just Making Pancakes

Just Making Pancakes

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

The Truck You Never Expected


Remember my last post about the truck?

If not, click here.

If so, well, you know what to do...

The truth of the matter is that some lessons. Even hard ones. Are there for the reason they appeared and then the real reason is so that you will be able to look back and see an even bigger picture and recognize what is right in front of you.

Which brings me back to the truck. The truck that symbolized my divorce and the fight I had to endure to save my daughter and myself.

I am not here to discuss that truck any longer, but rather, I want to talk about the truck that I was passing today as I left Vermillion.

I went to Vermillion today to help my boyfriend pick out some new glasses and to enjoy lunch with him at Chik-fil-a.  I suspected we would do just that and chit chat like we always do and then I would head back to Sioux Falls. No. Big. Deal.

I would be lying if I said it was just plain and ordinary.  I watched him be patient, smart, considerate, and a downright fine gentleman, but I also got to see him in real life. Not just on a fancy date, in texts, on the phone, or through FaceTime. I got to see how he interacts with people and how he responds to my overly social personality and strong opinions. He was himself and that is all I could ask for. Then it came time for me to leave and as I left my heart sunk because I knew there would be life that had to be done without him by my side.

I was a few miles from the interstate when I saw a familiar looking truck and I braced myself because I have been behind one before. The previous experience was far from pleasant and it left me scared, tired, covered in feces, yearning to get away from it,  and in desperate need of a car wash.

But as I approached I noticed that it did not smell and I found that to be strange. Maybe this truck is different but then I thought I better pass it anyway just in case is starts throwing excrement backward. If I passed it now I could potentially dodge the s*** storm. As I went to pass it nothing came flying at me so I slowed down because I was just sure this was too good to be true. I decided to ride along side the truck and nothing bad happened. Not one thing. I looked at the truck and there were baby horses along for the ride and we made eye contact. This truck did not belong behind me. It was meant to be right beside me.

Then it dawned on me.

Just because the truck of the past was so damaging does not mean that all of them are. Some trucks may even have precious cargo to fall in love with. The new truck may even be blue which happens to be your daughter’s favorite color.  This truck is not going to leave you scared, or alone, or broken, but rather leave you with a newfound appreciation for life and the opportunity to share it with someone who is healthy.

Cory. Thanks for being the truck that should have been hauling this cargo all along. I can only pray that the future for us will have ups and downs and that we can tackle them as a team. Together. No longer alone.


In fact.  You know what? We already are. Today. The aloneness is completely gone and God knew this exact plan all along. He was just waiting for us to catch up to his truck.




















No comments: