Just Making Pancakes

Just Making Pancakes

Monday, October 24, 2016

Out of the closet....

6 weeks ago I took Kamiyah to have testing done so she could hopefully get help in her local school district. I was mostly trying to get my foot in the door to see what I was up against in terms of giving her the same education as the other kids.  What I walked into was a colorful classroom that was definitely made for young children.

Kamiyah was constantly having episodes and was distracted because of everything to do so the team decided they would test her in a different location.

That location was a storage closet. With a mop bucket and old curriculum from the seventies. Items strewn about half hazardly and it was quite a mess but I understood because there are not any other kids like Kamiyah.

This week we showed up and hoped we would complete the testing.

Then something amazing happened.

The testing instructor was super excited to show us what Kamiyah inspired her to do. I thought maybe they found a new space for Kamiyah that was a little more inviting.

But no.

They took that old storage closet and transformed it into a nice space for kids like her to be tested. They got a few cans of paint, a table, a few lamps, and a nice new rug. She even made a pennant banner.

I have always known Kamiyah would leave this world a better place. I never imagined she would have the opportunity to see it change right in front of her. And to be quite honest, we never expected it to.

That is what makes it that much more beautiful.


No comments: