Just Making Pancakes

Just Making Pancakes

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Technology and "flat things"......

My grandparents have always listened to Christmas music year-round.  In particular, they like to listen to Leon Redbone that they have on a tape cassette.  When I was ten years old my grandmother and I got into a car accident and the tape (that was not in the deck at the time) flew into the tape player of the car and when the police came to the window this song was playing (click the red link).  At the time, I was soooo embarrassed because it was not Christmas (it was Easter) and this song was blaring loudly from the speakers.  Anyways, my grandparents had to get a new van (2011 Toyota Sienna) a few days ago and it is got so many bells and whistles that it even has a widescreen DVD player, that splits into two screens, that drops down in the backseat. I came over to their house to check it out and I came in the house and there was my grandmother reading this owner's manual to the car with a magnifying glass, that appeared to have been used by Mr. Magoo himself, and she says, "I have a problem."  I said, "oh yeah, what is the problem?" She then replies, "this car won't play my Christmas tape, I think it only has one of those flat things (CD player)."  I said, "you are probably correct we are in the year 2011 and technology has advanced."  Then my grandmother says, " oh well, I am not happy there has got to be a tape player in this thing, I will just keep reading."  I said, "Grandma, you can read that book until you are blue in the face and a tape deck will not appear."  I was breaking my ribs trying not laugh.  She was seriously concerned about her ability to listen to this Christmas tape.  There is approximately $30,000 dollars of fantastic technology sitting in their driveway never going to get to be used.  I will forever call CDs 'flat things' from this day forward..

Could it really get any better than this?

No comments: